Learning the Truth about Prayer
The Best Place to Learn About Prayer is to look to the Bible!
It is so important that we seek to stay in constant communication with our heavenly Father through the wonderful blessing of prayer. Not only does our Father long to hear from us, but sharing our concerns, hopes, confessions, needs and thanksgivings will give us much greater peace of mind! It's such a wonderful thought to realize that our heavenly Father cares so deeply to listen to our thoughts and concerns and wants to answer these prayers. He will answer our prayers in the ways that He knows are most wise, but He still wants us to ask. If we ask the Lord and pray according to His will, He does want to answer us. If we refuse to ask the Lord for these concerns in prayer however, we may not receive some special blessings since it tells us in James 4:2 (NASB) "You do not have because you do not ask." So let us have confidence and hope when we pray to our mighty God who can work wonderful miracles and blessings as we learn in Ephesians 3:20-21 - "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."
It is also a joy to realize that our heavenly Father wants us to pray to Him at all times and in every occasion! Ephesians 6:18-20 gives us a clear message concerning this as Paul tells the believers: "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the Saints, and pray for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak."
If we wish to learn more about the amazing blessing of prayer it is best to seek the Bible for wisdom on this subject. I would like to share with you a very comprehensive list of scripture about prayer from the New Testament that Martha Mac from SO4J.com has compiled. I hope these scriptures will be a great blessing to you as you seek to grow in knowledge on this subject.
- Matthew 6:1-15 - JESUS TEACHES HIS DISCIPLES ABOUT PRAYER & HOW TO PRAY: Jesus says, "Give your Gifts in Private, and your Father, who sees Everything, will REWARD YOU. “When you PRAY, DON'T be like the Hypocrites who love to PRAY PUBLICLY on street corners and in the synagogues where EVERYONE can see them. I tell you the Truth, that is ALL the REWARD they will ever get. But when you PRAY, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and to your Father in Private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will REWARD you. “When you PRAY, don’t babble on and on as people of other Religions do. They think their PRAYERS are answered merely by REPEATING THEIR WORDS AGAIN & AGAIN. DON'T be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him! PRAY LIKE THIS: "Our Father in Heaven, may your name be kept HOLY. May your Kingdom come Soon. May your Will be done on Earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us today the food we need, and Forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who Sin against us. And DON'T let us YIELD TO TEMPTATION, but RESCUE US from the EVIL ONE."
- Matthew 14:23 - “And when He had sent the Multitudes away, He went up on the Mountain BY HIMSELF to PRAY. Now when evening came, He was alone there.”
- Matthew 9:37-38 - Jesus said to His Disciples, "The Harvest truly is Plentiful, but the Laborers are FEW. Therefore PRAY the Lord of the Harvest to send out Laborers into His Harvest."
- Matthew 19:13 - "Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and PRAY, but the disciples rebuked them. ”
- Matthew 26:53 - Jesus said, "Or do you think that I cannot now PRAY to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? ”
- Matthew 26:36-45 - Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, "Sit here while I go and PRAY over there." And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me." He went a little farther and fell on His face, and PRAYED, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." Then He came to the disciples and found them asleep, and said to Peter, "What? Could you not watch with Me one hour? Watch and PRAY, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Again, a second time, He went away and PRAYED, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done." And He came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy. So He left them, went away again, and PRAYED the third time, saying the same words. Then He came to His disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners.”
- Mark 1:35-37 - “Now in the morning, having risen a LONG WHILE BEFORE DAYLIGHT, He went out and Departed to a SOLITARY PLACE; and there He PRAYED. And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. When they found Him, they said to Him, "Everyone is looking for You."
- Mark 6:46 - “When He (Jesus) had sent them away, He departed to the Mountain to PRAY."
- Luke 3:21-22 - “When all the people were Baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was Baptized; and while He PRAYED, the Heaven was Opened. And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."
- Luke 5:15-16 - “However, the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. So He Himself OFTEN WITHDREW into the WILDERNESS and PRAYED.”
- Luke 6:11-13 - “But they were filled with rage, and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus. Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the Mountain to PRAY, and Continued ALL NIGHT in PRAYER TO GOD. And when it was DAY, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He CHOSE twelve whom He also named apostles..”
- Luke 9:18 - "And it happened, as He was ALONE PRAYING, that His Disciples joined Him, and He asked them, saying, "Who do the crowds say that I am?"
- Luke 9:28-29 - “Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to PRAY. As He PRAYED, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening.”
- Luke 11:1 - “Now it came to pass, as He was PRAYING in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to PRAY, as John also taught his disciples."
- Luke 18:1 - "One day Jesus told his disciples a story to illustrate their Need for CONSTANT PRAYER and to show them that they must NEVER GIVE UP."
- Luke 22:32 - Jesus says, "But I have pleaded in PRAYER for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up your brothers."
- Luke 22:39-46 - “Coming out, He went to the Mount of Olives, as He was accustomed, and His disciples also followed Him. When He came to the place, He said to them, "PRAY that you may not enter into Temptation. And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and PRAYED, saying, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him. And being in agony, He PRAYED MORE EARNESTLY . Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. When He rose up from PRAYER, and had come to His disciples, He found them sleeping from sorrow. Then He said to them, "Why do you sleep? Rise and PRAY, lest you enter into temptation."
- Luke 22:31-32 - "And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have PRAYED for you, that your Faith should Not Fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."
- John 9:31 - "God DOESN’T LISTEN TO SINNERS (PRAYER), but He is ready to HEAR those who WORSHIP HIM and DO HIS WILL."
- John 14:16 - Jesus said to his Disciples, "And I will PRAY the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever”
- John 17:16 - "Jesus PRAYED to the Father for His TRUE FOLLOWERS “I'm not asking you to TAKE THEM OUT OF THE WORLD, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They are NOT part of this World any more than I am."
- John 17:20 - Jesus said, "I am PRAYING not only for these Disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony."
- Acts 1:14 - "They ALL met together CONTINUALLY FOR PRAYER, along with Mary the mother of Jesus, several other women, and the brothers of Jesus."
- Acts 4:24 - "Then all the Believers were united as they lifted their voices in PRAYER."
- Acts 4:31 - "After this PRAYER, the building where they were meeting shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. And they Preached God's message with Boldness."
- Acts 12:5 - "But while Peter was in prison, the Church PRAYED VERY EARNESTLY for him."
- Acts 13:3 - "So after more Fasting and PRAYER, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way."
- Acts 16:25-26 - "Around midnight, Paul and Silas were PRAYING and SINGING HYMNS TO GOD, and the other prisoners were listening. Suddenly, there was a Great Earthquake, and the Prison was shaken to its Foundations. All the doors flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off!"
- Romans 1:10 - "One of the things I always PRAY for is the OPPORTUNITY, God willing, to come at last to see you."
- Romans 8:34 - “Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession (PRAYING) for us.
- 2 Corinthians 9:14 - "They will PRAY for you with Deep Affection because of the wonderful grace of God shown through you."
- Ephesians 3:20-21 (NASB) - "Now to HIM who is able to do FAR MORE ABUNDANTLY BEYOND ALL that we ASK or THINK, according to the POWER that WORKS within US, to HIM be the GLORY in the CHURCH and in CHRIST JESUS to ALL generations FOREVER and EVER. AMEN."
- Ephesians 6:18-20 - "PRAYING ALWAYS (ALL TIMES & EVERY OCCASION) all PRAYER & SUPPLICATION (Earnestly) in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with ALL PERSERVERANCE & SUPPLICATION for all the Saints (Believers)-- and PRAY for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth BOLDLY to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may SPEAK BOLDLY, as I ought to speak."
- Philippians 1:9-11 - “I Pray that your LOVE will OVERFLOW MORE and MORE, and that you will keep on growing in KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING (DISCERNMENT). For I want you to understand what REALLY matters, so that you may live PURE and BLAMELESS LIVES until the DAY OF CHRIST’S RETURN. May you always be filled with the FRUIT OF YOUR SALVATION—the RIGHTEOUS CHARACTER produced in your life by JESUS CHRIST—for this will bring much GLORY and PRAISE TO GOD.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB) - "Be ANXIOUS [don't worry] for nothing, but in EVERYTHING by PRAYER and SUPPLICATION with THANKSGIVING let your requests be made known to God. And the PEACE of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your HEARTS and your MINDS in Christ Jesus."
- Colossians 1:9-10 - "So we have NOT STOPPED PRAYING for You since we first heard about you. We ASK GOD to give you COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE OF HIS WILL and to give you SPIRITUAL WISDOM & UNDERSTANDING. Then the way you live will always Honor and Please the Lord, and your lives will Produce every kind of GOOD FRUIT. All the while, you will Grow as you learn to know God better and better."
- Colossians 4:2-3 (NASB) - "Devote yourselves to PRAYER, keeping ALERT in it with an ATTITUDE of THANKSGIVING; PRAYING at the same time for us as well, that GOD will OPEN UP to us a DOOR for the WORD, so that we may speak forth the MYSTERY of CHRIST, for which I have also been imprisoned; that I may make it CLEAR in the way I ought to SPEAK."
- Colossians 4:12 - "Epaphras, a member of your own Fellowship and a Servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings. He ALWAYS PRAYS EARNESTLY for you, asking God to make you Strong and Perfect, fully confident that you are Following The Whole Will Of God."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NASB) - "PRAY without ceasing"
- 2 Thessalonians 3:2-3 - "We ask you to PRAY for us. PRAY that the Lord’s Message will SPREAD RAPIDLY and BE HONORED wherever it goes, just as when it came to you. PRAY, too, that we will be RESCUED from WICKED & EVIL PEOPLE for NOT everyone is a Believer. But the Lord is Faithful; He will Strengthen you and Guard you from the Evil one."
- 1 Timothy 2:1-5 - "I urge you, first of all, to PRAY for all People. As you make your requests, plead for God's mercy upon them, and give thanks. PRAY this way for Kings and all others who are in Authority, so that we can live in PEACE & QUIETNESS, in GODLINESS & DIGNITY. This is Good and Pleases God our Savior, for He wants everyone to be Saved and to Understand the Truth. For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and people. He is the man Christ Jesus."
- Hebrews 7:25 - “Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession (PRAYING) for them.”
- James 4:2 (NASB) - "You do NOT HAVE because you do NOT ASK."
- James 5:16 - "The FERVENT PRAYER of a Righteous Person has Great Power and Wonderful results."
- 1 Peter 1:17 - "And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you PRAY has no favorites. He will Judge or Reward you according to what you DO. So you must live in reverent Fear of Him during your time as “foreigners in the land.”
- Revelation 5:8 - "And when he took the scroll, the four living beings and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp, and they held gold bowls filled with incense, which are the PRAYERS OF GOD'S PEOPLE.”
- Revelation 8:3-4 - “Then another angel with a gold incense burner came and stood at the altar. And a great amount of incense was given to him to mix with the PRAYERS OF GOD'S PEOPLE as an offering on the gold altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, mixed with the PRAYERS OF GOD'S PEOPLE, ascended up to God from the altar where the angel had poured them out.”
SCRIPTURES ARE IN: NEW AMERICAN STANDARD (NASB), NEW KING JAMES VERSION (NKJV), OR NEW LIVING TRANSLATION 2 (NLT 2)